Sunday, May 2, 2010

Produce

This is the first blog post I've done since our trip to Cambodia back in November. I've been intending to blog about that trip, including our accident and recovery, for months. But I haven't even finished writing about the details of it in my personal journal.

I'm going to stop waiting to get caught up on Cambodia before I record other things, so here is something little and manageable to get me started again.

Before we left for Cambodia, I decided to start getting produce at a food co-op called Bountiful Baskets every other week to help us get more fruits and vegetables in our diet. I only had a chance to do it couple of times before the trip, and then things were so hectic after we got back that I haven't tried it again since.

You pay $15 in advance and then on the designated day you show up to the location of your choosing with a basket or box to take your share of produce home in. I liked this particular co-op because you only have to pay for it week by week. No commitment. I went to a location in Bountiful, but I think now they have a location closer to downtown Salt Lake that I'll try next time.

It is really fun because it is a surprise every time as to what you'll be getting (I love surprises). It is also fun to figure out ways to use up all the produce before it goes bad. The first time we got tons of carrots, so I ended up finding a recipe and making a big pot of carrot curry. We've also gotten things that neither of us had even eaten before, like persimmons.

Another great item was guava. It was the second time in my life I'd tried it. The first time was in Hawaii while I was visiting my parents. I went hiking in the mountains and there were guava all over the ground. They were so fragrant, you could smell them before you saw them.

We got most of this batch eaten before anything went bad.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

are you still doing this? I've heard of another one called Utah food co-op. Let me know how you like it.

CarrieAnn said...

I haven't done it recently, but I want to start doing it again. I really thought it was fun and it forced us to eat more vegetables. I thought Bountiful Baskets was pretty good. They have groups all over Utah, so I'd bet there is one close to you.

Crissy said...

My sister uses Bountiful Baskets in AZ, and I am getting started with one here in Vegas. I love that all the produce is so fresh, and as locally grown as possible. Pretty cool stuff, and fun to hear that you are doing it too!