
In general, I like the food in Cambodia. On the left is a picture of some roadside food that I bought for maybe $1.50 near my house. The good. As for the bad (from my perspective), there are some things that Cambodians eat that I don't, such as a variety of fried insects, coagulated blood chunks, chicken embryos, river snails, and a snake-on-a-stick snack that I saw for the first time last night at a big gathering. Prahok, a fermented fish paste which is widely used here, is probably my biggest omission. Cambodians know that foreigners can't stomach it and I am often asked if I have tried it, though no one has offered it to me yet. When I was younger, I might have been more interested in trying some of these foods, but I think years of reality tv shows featuring disgusting food eating competitions such as Survivor, Fear Factor, and The Amazing Race, have removed the charm for me.
As I mentioned in a prior post, I do try a lot of products that are imported from other Southeast Asian countries available in the Western-style import stores. Products which resemble something I am familiar with, but with a twist. So, in the spirit of barely-adventurous eating, today I tried aloe vera yogurt imported from Viet Nam:
An aloe chunk close-up:
I thought it might be gross, and it was. Maybe if I didn't associate the taste and smell with sunburn medicine, it would have been okay.
2 comments:
I love that you thought it might be gross...and it was. Ha ha. I feel the same as you that maybe I would have been more adventurous in the food department when I was younger. Not that I ever would have eaten a spider. Ugh, that's nasty. As is coagulated (or non-coagulated) blood. It's fun to hear about the products they have over there. Keep sharing.
You are way more adventurous than I would be. The blood one sounded the most disgusting!
Post a Comment