Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Groceries

We do a lot of our food shopping at the local markets, but we really appreciate the fact that Phnom Penh has a few Western style supermarkets, primarily stocked with goods imported from other countries. There are a lot of Thai products.


For example, this baby powder. I sweat like crazy when I'm outside.  Sometimes sweat is streaming off me when I don't even feel that hot, so I thought I'd experiment and see if dousing myself in baby powder would help. The closest supermarket had several varieties of baby powder, including a small bottle of an American brand for $5. But the clear choice was "Babi Mild." For $1.50 I got a huge bottle of powder fortified with "double milk protein plus" and "beautimin C from mixed berries." What girl couldn't use a dash of beautimin C?  


Here is another berry-themed Thai product that I enjoy, though Matt isn't a fan. Blueberry Ice cream Oreos. "Ice cream" because the filling contains menthol to make your mouth feel cold.  Pretty great if you ask me.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Those Oreos are pretty odd but kind of good. I've brought them back for Holly and the kids a few times from Taiwan.

Amy said...

I could definitely use some beautimin C. Did the powder work? I remember one place in Thailand we washed our clothes in the sink and then line-dried them. The only problem was that it was so humid they didn't get dry. I don't know how you would keep your clothes from growing mold without a dryer.

Blessed Rain said...

Living where its so hot the oreo's must be a relief.
Love!
So glad your having so much fun!

Liesel said...

Those oreos look gross. But, I want to know if the powder worked too. I could use a sweating solution.

Marianne said...

Oreos with menthol in them??? How strange! Did they taste like VapoRub?