I love the apartment that Matt found for us. It is really nice and comfortable and feels very homey. I also like the neighborhood, Toul Kork. It is relatively quiet yet it is so close to everything for me. It is near the Royal University of Phnom Penh where I am going to start Khmer language classes in a week, the church we go to, a Western style supermarket with a lot of imported products, and also one of the best hospitals in Phnom Penh. I am already familiar with that hospital because I went there to get my wounds cleaned once. Best of all, the Toul Kork market is probably about a block away from our house
Matt picked a really great location for me because I can either walk or take tuk tuks for short distances to get to the places I'll need to go to the most. Matt is allowed to take home a Red Cross car to use on the evenings and weekends. He uses that to drive across town to and from work everyday. That is so nice to have available, and I feel much safer riding in the car for longer trips.
I am usually such a picture fiend, but I haven't taken many pictures so far because I don't want to look like a tourist. I really stand out in our neighborhood. People watch me when I walk down the street and they remember me. I'm the only Caucasian besides Matt that I've seen walking around, and a vacationer taking pictures isn't the image I want to project. Yesterday when Matt was with me at the market I decided to just grit my teeth and take my camera out, even though it pained me to do it. I've also taken some pictures while in the car.
One of the entrances to the market at the end of the street
At the market
The little kids there are so cute. A majority of the vendors are women and they bring their kids with them.
Yesterday, Matt and I heard a sad little kitten crying somewhere in the market. We zoned in on the sound and a nice man asked if I wanted him to catch it for me. It was so alone and so sad. There are tons of cats and dogs around, breeding like crazy. Some of the dogs are kept as pets, but all of the cats are feral. The man told Matt that they don't keep cats as pets or even let their children play with cats because the cat fur will get in their nose and give them asthma. Another man piped in and told Matt that cats with three colors and long tails are magical. They can just look at a bird and it will fall down dead. Interesting. He didn't say whether the magical cats are an exception and can safely be kept as pets. I'd like to know. Anyway, I felt so bad for that kitten. It was so scared of people and all alone. I wanted to take it home with me. Instead I let it go and it hid beneath something and started crying again.
The saddest little kitten
I'll include one more picture at the market for this post. The English words and phrases that get printed on things and the English names given to some businesses are an endless source of entertainment for Matt and me. This t-shirt was cracking me up. I might have to go back and buy it:
"Rain is liquid precipitation, as opposed to non-liquid kinds of precipitation, such as snow, hail, and HAPPY SMILE"
There are even lollipops and a cat wearing socks and on it. Brilliant!
4 comments:
I'm glad you've settled in nicely, CarrieAnn. I'm impressed that you're trying to blend in and learn everything you can. If you don't want to take pictures now I think you should make a list of the things that catch your eye and make sure to eventually get a picture of them when the time feels right. Once everything becomes normal to you you might not feel the need to take a picture and then when the experience is over you'll be asking yourself why you didn't get a picture of such and such. Thanks for the update! Keep them coming.
p.s. Maybe you could start a Humane Society that picks up cats and neuters/spays them. You do have a bit of pharmacological knowledge to work with ;).
Oh yeah, that T-shirt is great.
LOL!! Love the shirt, that's hilarious! And I'm so so happy that you and Matt are getting settled and you've got a good place to live. I have a theory for your picture taking - take them all now! Get the touristy thing out of the way for the next couple of weeks, then your need for taking pictures of new places will dwindle and you'll start feeling more like a resident instead of a tourist. But either way, it was nice seeing a picture of you with your beautiful smile! Miss you girl!!
CarrieAnn, I was so happy to see this post. I have been wondering how you were doing. I'm just amazed at your attitude toward life all the time and know that you will have a wonderful experience. I love that you are venturing out everyday on your own. I think I would be a little intimidated. Go get them girl!
Post a Comment